India Carbon Limited is India’s leading producer of Calcined Petroleum Coke provides the right blend of people & products to serve the needs of the Aluminum, Steel, & other Carbon consuming industries. The Company is founded by Mr. B. Himatsingka, in the year 1961 and is a pioneer of the Calcining industry that sets up Asia’s first Calcination Plant at Guwahati in 1962. India Carbon’s primary business is to manufacture and supply high-quality Calcined Petroleum Coke (CPC), which is the purest form of Carbon, containing over 99.5% of it. Along with the Calcined Coke, a company also specializes in the production of Electrode Carbon Paste (ECP) and Tamping Paste used widely in the Ferro Alloys and Allied industries and the production of Carbide as well. The primary raw material used by ICL for its operations is Raw Petroleum Coke, frequently referred to as RPC, which is purchased by oil refineries all over the world. RPC produced from the thermal cracking of crude itself.
About the Company
- India Carbon Limited (ICL) primary business is the manufacture and supply of high-quality Calcined Petroleum Coke (CPC) which is the purest form of Carbon, containing over 99.5% of it.
- The Company, established in 1961 was founded by Mr. B. Himatsingka and is a pioneer of the Calcining industry.
- ICL set up its first Asia Calcination Plant in Guwahati in 1962 and then went ahead and established its second calcination plant in 1969 at Budge Budge, West Bengal.
- ICL provides the right blend of people & products to serve the needs of the Aluminium, Steel & other Carbon consuming industries.
- ICL since inception, has also been in Technical & Financial Collaboration with Oxbow Calcining LLC (formerly Great Lakes Carbon LLC) USA -World Leaders in the Calcined Petroleum Coke field.
- Along with the Calcined Coke the Company also specializes in the production of Electrode Carbon Paste (ECP) and Tamping Paste used widely in the Ferro Alloys and Allied industries and also in the production of Carbide.
- Some of the primary customers for ICL are:
- Aluminium industry: National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO), HINDALCO Industries Limited (HINDALCO), Bharat Aluminium Company Limited (BALCO) and Madras Aluminium Company Limited (MALCO).
- Steel industry: Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), Tata Iron and Steel Company Limited (TISCO) and Essar Steel.
- Graphite Industry: Graphite India Limited and Hindustan Electro Graphite Limited.
Calcined Petroleum Coke (CPC)
- CPC is a form of highly electrically conductive, dense Carbon with very low specific Electrical Resistance, and having fixed Carbon of approximately 99.5%. CPC is used extensively as Anode in Alumina Smelters, as Soderberg's Electrode for Ferroalloy Industries, and in the manufacturing of Graphite/ Graphite Electrodes, and Thermal Paste for Ferro Alloys & allied industries in Submerged Arc Furnaces. CPC is also used in various Steel Industries for - Melting of Steel, Recurburisation and for making Special Steels & Alloys.
Electrode Carbon Paste (ECP)
- EPC is a Soderberg paste processed from a mix of a specific fraction of Calcined Petroleum Coke (CPC) and / or Electrically Calcined Anthracite Coal (ECA), impregnated with selective Coal Tar Pitch Binder at a definite temperature. It is used in submerged Arc Furnaces for production of various Ferro Alloys and Calcium Carbide.
- Tamping Paste also known as Thermal Paste is used in the Ferro Alloys & Allied Industries for the lining of the furnace. The paste is produced from a mixture of different carbonaceous material (Calcined Petroleum Coke, Calcined Anthracite Coal etc.) and Soft Pitch as binder.
- On the basis of consumption, India is expected to be the second-largest market in the Asia Pacific region of Calcined Petroleum Coke.
- Revenue value for global Calcined Petroleum Coke market to reach US$ 12,597.6 million by 2028 and valued approximately US$ 7,652.5 million in 2018 is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate (CAGR) of more than 5.1% over the forecast period 2021-2030.
- The key factors driving the calcined petcoke market growth include rising demand for petroleum coke in the steel industry; development in the cement and power generation industries; growth in the supply of heavy oils globally and favourable government initiatives regarding the sustainable and green environment.
- The global Electrode Paste market is valued at US$ 277 million in 2020 is expected to reach US$ 353.3 million by the end of 2026, growing at a CAGR of 3.5% during 2021-2026.
- The Company achieved a gross revenue from operation amounting to INR 471.65 Crore in FY18-19 as against INR 342.95 Crore in the previous financial year, an increase of 37.52 % as compared to the previous financial year, which is also the highest ever.
Profit After Tax
- The Company earned its highest-ever profit after Tax in the history of the Company, amounting to INR 153.71 Crore in the FY18-19, as against INR 79.31 Crore in the previous financial year.
Earnings Per Share (EPS)
- The EPS of the Company during the FY18-19 was recorded at INR 580.05 per share as compared to INR 299.29 of the previous financial year.
- The Company witnessed the production of Calcined Petroleum Coke (CPC) during the FY18-19 at 88,829MT as against 85,789MT in the previous year and Electrode Carbon Paste (ECP) production at 5,478MT in FY18-19 as against 4,622MT in the previous year, with an increase of 3.54% & 18.52% respectively.
- Further, the Company clocked ECP sales at 5,449 MT in FY18-19 as against 4,622 MT in the previous year, recording an increase of 17.89%.
- The production of both CPC & ECP, which is the main constituent of the Company’s turnover significantly increased in FY18-19 as compared to the previous year, resulting in a lower cost of production due to much better capacity utilization, as well as many improved prices.
- In view of ever highest profit earned in the history of the Company, the Company announced payment of dividend to the equity shareholders @300% i.e INR 30/- per equity share of Rs.10/- each for the F.Y 2018-19 after payment of dividend distribution tax as may be applicable.